There are two books that I usually recommend to my puppy buyers. They
both use the positive-reinforcement technique of clicker-training. For
those unfamiliar with clicker training, a clicker is used because it
creates a distinct, "sharp" sound that acts as a marker. This helps the
puppy to understand more clearly what behavior is wanted. Often by the
time we say the words "good boy," the action is passed and the puppy is
unsure what elicited the praise.
51 Puppy Tricks - by Kyra Sundance- This book is great because it has step-by-step photos on each page of what to do, as well as "troubleshooting." This is a great book also for children because of the way its laid out.

Clicker Training for Dogs, by Karen Pryor.-- Karen Pryor is the "grand dame" of clicker training and gives a clear, easily understood explanation of the process.
And of course, I have to show you my absolute FAVORITE clicker - the Spotty Training Clicker: Why? It doesn't pinch your fingers, has a wrist band to keep it handy, and I like the nice sharp "click."
Clicker Training in Action! Since I just published a post on clicker training, I wanted to show you it in action. This is a puppy from my last litter with her new owner. How cute is this? Bet you'll watch it several times. Great job, Elle! Shows how easy and effective clicker training can be! The puppy is about 13-14 weeks old in the video:

No comments:
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear your comments and know you are receiving the blog messages!